Arizona State Club Baseball heads to Tucson this weekend as they participate in the second annual WildCat Desert Classic at Kino Sports Complex. This will be the first time ASU Division II team will participate in the tournament. Fellow participants in the tournament are as follows: ASU DI, Northern Arizona University, Grand Canyon University Purple & Black, University of Arizona Blue & Red, California Miramar LA, University of California Irvine, and Long Beach State University.
ASU will start the tournament Saturday morning facing off against UC Irvine in a 8am matchup. Immediately following the UCI game the Sun Devils will play GCU Purple at 10:30am. On Sunday the Devils again have to set their alarms as they play at 8am against Northern Arizona. The fourth game that will take place is based on seeding. With the number one and two seeds facing off for the championship.
- The Devils look to build off early season success as they are (8-1) on the year. Pitching has been the key component of success, but wins do not happen without clutch hitting and the Sun Devils have had plenty of key hits along with key defensive plays.
- The Sun Devils will leave town Friday and will stay the weekend in Tucson.
- For updates all tournament long follow the @ASUSDCB on twitter for scores, stats and notes
Notes on our opponents:
- ASU Division I: Coming off a fourth place showing in the Henderson tournament this past weekend in Nevada. Lost a close semifinal game to GCU and later losing to NAU in the third place game.
- NAU: Is coming off a third place showing at the Henderson tournament
- GCU: Is coming off winning the Henderson Tournament as they beat UCSD. Our former Division foe is now moving to Division I and we welcome GCU’s second team to our division this year.
- Arizona: Is hosting the tournament for the second time. They will carry two teams in the tournament.
- California Miramar LA: Is replacing Northridge in the WildCat Classic. CMU LA is coming off a year in which they went 15-2. CMU swept ASU DII last year and this past weekend we split the series 1-1 in two hard fought games.
- UCI: Is entering their second year as a member of NCBA. They look to build off the success of last year. ASU DII won the lone matchup early in the season last spring.
- Long Beach: In a hard fought series at Long Beach last spring season ASU DII took two of three in the series.